Friday, September 5, 2008

Today

Look at what I picked this morning!
I need to make some more sauce or these babies will go bad I'm guessing. My husband and I are good for about one tomato a day each- unless we make a pizza or something, which we will probably do tonight- but the kiddos just are not tomato eaters. I can't really fault them. I didn't like tomatoes until I was an adult. I think it was a texture thing.

We are having some chicken drama around here... the two boys are making everyone CRAZY! They are such beautiful birds and for the most part not a real problem at all. But the crowing, oh God. The crowing, or as I call it, the cock-a-doodle-doing, is making for some tired people around these parts. I do not have a problem sleeping through the noise, but my husband does. And we used to let the birds roam free, so one morning when Justin went out to go "kick the damn birds" (he really can't kick them because we can't catch them) and he stood in door of the back porch and was scared half to death when one crowed from BEHIND him... it was already on our porch.... our enclosed porch... like a stalker. I thought it was pretty hilarious! He did not. And, during their free-roaming days, they would go up on my great aunt and uncle's front porch and crow at 5am. Not a good thing for 75+ year old people. So every night we have been waiting until they (the roosters) fall asleep and then we sneak up on them, catch them and stick them in their coop. This seems to keep the crowing down a bit- or at least muffle it enough that we can all sleep. But now, to make up for it, after being released from their coop they crow ALL FREAKIN' DAY LONG!
We called our local humane society as we know they accept farm animals, but the lady said that they have too many roosters already and that they would just euthanize them. That's not ok. If they are going to be killed, they should at least be eaten. And honestly, I just feel too bad to do that to them. I mean, they are kind of our pets, and I'm not planning on eating my dog any time soon.
So if you know anyone who wants a loud but pretty rooster, let me know!!

No comments: